GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy guys! I am finally back, anybody notice I was gone? ;-)

Anyway, I am trying to replace my center overhead console on my 95 with an overhead from a 99 or 01 that has the homelink garage door buttons instead of the door for the garage door opener.

The older style overhead has a lead for the dome lights with 2 wires, a white and a black. The newer overhead with the homelink stuff has three wires, the white and black and a yellow.

Anybody know what the yellow is for I assumed it was just a redundant power lead but then I don't know where the ground is for the homelink......

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
We all missed you very much! :)

Hmm, yellow could be used for anything. Maybe some type of aux power lead???

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
git er dun!

Found this info on another website:

(link includes photos)

For those without the luxury of owning a car equipped with Homelink...

1) Buy homelink visors from ebay as cheap as you can get them from any car you like (like this one)

2) Tear them apart, and remove the Homelink module. (voila!)

3) Cut small opening in headliner / dash panel / or opt to rewire the buttons and creatively locate them.

4) Tap +12V (black) and GND (brown) wires into a nearby power source (overhead lamp).

5) Train it using your garage door opener(s) (see www.homelink.com).

6) Admire your $25 (maybe less) homelink installation. Never worry about dead batteries or losing your garage door opener(s) again...

7) (optional) Deprogram your old battery powered garage door openers and sell them on ebay for a profit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts