GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 k1500 and I’m pulling the motor to get rebuilt. While doing so I’m basically trying to replace everything I can including the wiring harness on the passenger AND driver side. Right now I’m working on the driver side harness that goes from the firewall to the headlights, marker lights, blinkers and horn but I CAN NOT FIND a OEM factory replacement harness. I’m trying to keep everything original and true to spec but I can’t find a replacement harness for the life of me that is a OEM replacement. I need it to go from the firewall to the bulbs. Also if anyone knows where to get the firewall plug block and anything els that would be great! Please help!

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
you have to replace the defective wires . now on old vehicles the loom over the wires breaks down then the wires get damaged .. buy the correct wire gauge or bit bit higher then solder and use heat shrink over the wire solder joint ,then use loom over the engine compartment wires. the wires over the intake manifold do get damaged so that is a common issue on these old vehicles.
not gonna get a new wire harness...

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
Ok that might be manageable but what about the end plugs/ firewall block and plugs?
if the connectors are damaged go to a auto scrap yard..many new connectors will not keep the pins water proof.. when you can buy new. auto connectors water proof ... you will also buy a tool to crimp the wire to the pin....pins should be corrosion proof . I had to change the fuel pump wire connector .... expensive crimp tool ..on the positive pin on the pump .. mark the wires before the work ..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Last spring I replaced the engine in my 94 and had similar issues. I was able to order pigtails for any broken connectors. As recommended above, solder and shrink tube is a very good idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts