GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking also for thoughts an a wood grain dash kit? I bought a partial kit from my favorite online auction site and for the most part considering what I paid I am ok with it. Its a "stick on" kit and my kids have already broken one of the smaller parts in the back seat. It actually looks nice but I just have the parts for the doors and the panel that goes over the door on the center console. I'd like to get some more pieces for it but am concerned about the stick on stuff.

Does anybody have better kit that they have used?

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Some of the kits are great. They are actually technically high-quality photos of real wood. Some are just simulations. Some are junk. Just depends on what you get.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This one is a real laminated wood, just doesn't seem to hold the contours of the truck pieces very well in some places.

G

·
0 Posts
Who is the manufacturer, of your wood kit? I was just looking at different kits, and I think I'm drawn to the molded kits. I don't think that the stick on kit would hold up very well in my truck, but I'm sure it's a better buy than the molded ones.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
try looking at your local wood supplier, not lumber yard, but a high class place that sells wood veners, they already have adhisives attached. they are thin peices of the real thing. simply cut them with a utility knife. if you can't find a local store that carrys it there are a dozen places on the net. you have a lot of choices in veners .
just an idea.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
after having the wood "stick on kit" installed now for a month or so, I would recommend the molded kit, as you mentioned its more expensive but probably a better value.

I will have to look up the manufacturers of the kits that I have installed. I found that the actual dash kit is ok and looks nice and seems to adhere pretty well.... But the "compliment" kit that covers the doors etc, some of the pieces that are supposed to flex around corners etc.. don't seem to stick very well and the kids have broken a piece off of both of the back door pieces.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
I would think that continued sustained heat would melt that off in no time at all if it were the stick on kind.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK after about a year on the dash kits..... don't bother with the stick on stuff, the molded ones appear to be the way to go. The stick on ones seem to peel off and don't last like I had hoped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts