GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2007 Silverado 1500 LTZ 4x4 6.0L Vortec Max with every option possible. The truck is in perfect condition but it has almost 120,000 miles on it. The dealer wants $19, 950 for it. What are your thoughts? Is the mileage too high to take a chance on this thing?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
is it the old body style (more angled front end) or the new body style (more squared off front end) ? GM switched to the new body style halfway through 07. Either way, you should be able to get at least another 80k-100k out of that truck if not more, the new Vortec engines are pretty solid.

·
4,774 Posts
Looking at a 2007 Silverado 1500 LTZ 4x4 6.0L Vortec Max with every option possible. The truck is in perfect condition but it has almost 120,000 miles on it. The dealer wants $19, 950 for it. What are your thoughts? Is the mileage too high to take a chance on this thing?

The Silverado being a 07" having the.....LTZ Trim....it's the Present day Silverado body style then its a (NNBS) New New Body Style.......$20,000 for a 120,000 mile truck......I would want to see Maintenance's History on the truck, to see how it was maintain if I could......also the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty is gone with truck at over 100K.....I'd keep looking...just my .02

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will see what records they have, as well as a Carfax. I know it was a one owner, no guarantees but with the condition this truck is in...they had to have been mostly highway miles. I would be putting about 400 miles per week on this thing as well....all highway miles.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I personally think that is a bit expensive for a 120,000 mile truck. Thats about 193,000 km, and 07 VortecMax trucks with all options can be had for about $17,000 where I am. I suppose it depends on the market where you live, but where I am, I would only spend that much if the truck had thorough maintenance records.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
What worries me about high mileage trucks is that the maintenance is not done when it should be because they rack the miles up so quickly. Any truck can be made to look clean.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
What worries me about high mileage trucks is that the maintenance is not done when it should be because they rack the miles up so quickly. Any truck can be made to look clean.
I agree... Also $20K is steep for that truck, it doesnt matter what options it has etc but with 120K miles you are at around half the life of the truck. Id go much closer to $15K since up here i was just looking at an 09 LT the other day with the 5.3L and it was $22K.. and it only had 56K miles. As said the market but i would keep looking myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure what the markets are like in your areas but in my market you couldn't get much for 22k. Any LT will not have half the options that this LTZ has. I think he will come down to $18,000...MAYBE $17,500. I know book value doesn't mean much but this thing books out at over $25,000 the way it sits. I can't believe that the value is really 8-10k less than blue book value. I guess it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. I would be willing to pay $17,500 for a truck this nice with 119,000 miles...but that's just me.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Yes, I agree that a turd can be polished but you can look for other signs that will give you a clue as to how well the vehicle was maintained. If he was driving highway miles for commuting or some other reason, the truck may not have that much wear and tear on it just because it has high miles.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I'm not sure what the markets are like in your areas but in my market you couldn't get much for 22k. Any LT will not have half the options that this LTZ has. I think he will come down to $18,000...MAYBE $17,500. I know book value doesn't mean much but this thing books out at over $25,000 the way it sits. I can't believe that the value is really 8-10k less than blue book value. I guess it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. I would be willing to pay $17,500 for a truck this nice with 119,000 miles...but that's just me.

QUOTE]

The Book Value at this time doesnt mean squat you are looking at what is considered a gas guzzler at a time when everyone looking to buy a new car is looking at just that a car. they arent buying nearly as many trucks since they cost so much, also book values are based on dealer numbers more than anything. Think about this my 1999 F-150 with 261K miles is still worth nearly $5K. Or my 1997 S-10 Blazer with 319K miles is still worth in the range of $3000... Now a dealer probably gave them $15K on trade for the truck thanks to the miles, so they are marking it up alot, and to be honest im not against someone making money. As talked about above miles might be just a number but they mean everything when you are buying a truck. Since if you were going to trade in you better believe they would beat you over the head with those numbers.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Offer them $17K for it and tell them you want a 6 month Warr..

·
Registered
53 Posts
i agree with Enkeiavalanche. and look for every single little itty bitty flaw you can and deduct, even if its just a little minor thing. be a stiffler........ also be patient, cuz another truck might pop up in the future that you like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank You for the input guys. I like the idea off low-balling with an offer and requiring some type of warranty. I'm not in a big hurry so I will keep my eyes peeled. Not too many LTZ models for sale these days and it is the only model I want. An LT is not an option. Like I said before, I would be putting a ton of miles on this thing. I don't want to buy something with low miles and the have it be worth nothing because of high miles. Might as well buy something with high miles on it already. More truck for the money.

·
Registered
429 Posts
That is a crazy price for the amount of miles. For example, I paid $11,995 for my '03 2500HD 6.0 with about 65k miles almost three yrs ago. Doesn't even have 85k miles now. Personally, I can't see paying that type of money for any vehicle with so many miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They have a complete detailed record of all service/maintenance records on this particular vehicle. Everything was performed at a local dealership. This vehicle was owned by an older man. Still probably not going to buy it but I just don't see where everyone is saying that $20k is way too much for this vehicle. I look on cars.com and you can't find crap for 20k. Sure there are some LS or LT models but they all have fairly high miles as well and they don't even compare to the LTZ in my opinion, as far as options. It is priced right in line with every other LTZ i can find with this mileage. Even with 50k miles these things are selling for $26-$27k.
Are people missing that this is a crew cab? I don't think I put that in the first post.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Here are some examples from my area to give you an idea of where my prices are coming from:
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2007-Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-Z71-LTZ-Pickup-Truck-W0QQAdIdZ287425242 (not a VortecMax, but a tricked out LTZ - under 100,000 miles)
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2007-GMC-Sierra-1500-SLT-Pickup-Truck-W0QQAdIdZ287047051 (Again, not VortecMac, but a SLT Sierra - under 50,000 miles)

There actually aren't a lot of LTZ/SLT trucks for sale here right now, but when there are, the ones with 120,000 miles on them are listed around $16,000 to $18,000. There was a VortecMax LTZ for sale here about a month or two ago for under $15,000 with about 194,000km (just over 120,000 miles)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts