GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend bought a gear package for his 95 z71, it came with front and back 3.73 and master install kits, he got his rear gears installed but never got his front gears installed, he is now selling his truck and he gave me his front 3.73 gears and install kit, would these gears work on my 2006 sierra for the rear axle, i heard it could since they go by size and not models (10 bolt 8.5inch)

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Well if you have those same gears in the back you could luck out. But I’m not sure if you need to change the pinion gear as well. I’m sure someone on here will know but for the life of me I’m really not sure if they will fit for sure.

The gear sets have to match, front to rear or you could be in trouble and blow your trany, transfer case.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Yes you would need a new Pinion gear, if those gears would work. Unfortunately front and rear gears are cut differently and by using those gears youd be running on what is refered to as the coast side of the gear. The coast side of the gear is the weaker side, it's where the gear runs when your in reverse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts