GM Truck Club Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Did your son happen to mention how hard is it to put the wrap on? I am also curious what type of prep does it take to get the truck ready.
The wrap itself is fairly simple to install. Once the prep is done, I will go over that in a moment. You can watch many you tunes for step procedures on how to wrap. VIVVID VINYLS Website has a detailed list on what to do fairly detailed. Here's my simpler version, remove what you can see my examples, and clean every thing you can, dust is critical here, so control and minimize dust. Temperature is important! to about 65-85 is about ideal. The vinyl needs to be warm to stretch. You rough cut it to fit, peel off the backing. Position in place smooth out all wrinkles with sqee gee and air pockets. Once you are happy with all that. You final cut your film leaving about a quarter of an inch extra and seal with heat gun. You develop your own technique and flow pattern that works for you. All kind of helps are out there if you need them. Hope this answers your question.
Hank

·
Registered
2019 Silverado HD 2019 Duramax 6.6, Metallic Mosaic Black Crew Cab, 6 Speed.
280 Posts
The wrap itself is fairly simple to install. Ounce the prep is done, I will go over that in a moment. You can watch many you tunes for step procedures on how to wrap. VIVVID VINYLS Website has a detailed list on what to do fairly detailed. detailed. Here's my simpler version, remove what you can see my examples, and clean every thing you can, dust is critical, here so control and minimize dust. Temperature is important to about 66-85 is about ideal. The vinly needs to be warm to stretch. You rough cut it to fit peel off the backing. Position in place smooth put all wrinkles and air pockets. Once you are happy with all that. You fina lcut your film leaving about a quarter of an inch extra and seal with heat gun. You developed your own technique and flow pattern that works for you. All kind of helps are out there if you need them. Hope this answers your question.
Hank
That’s what I thought it’s not real hard. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Friday night:
My son showed up at 5:00pm and wanted to start on the wrap. We filled some small dents and dings with a body putty then started on the left front fender wrapping the vinyl. I am really impressed as the amount of gloss this film has and how this looks like a real paint job. We didn't get very far this evening because of starting so late in the day. I am really impressed by what I am seeing, this is exactly what I wanted the truck to look like. This is the second vehicle my son has wrapped and he really wants to take his time so this looks good. I found out it was very tedious tonight taking out the wrinkles out of the wrap where the fender flare is. Anyway he wants to do the hood and most of the left side. Not able to do the bed this trip, this area needs more body work. Please stay tuned, this weekend will give you nightly updates.
Hank

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle
Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Afternoon rain shower moved in. So did we going slow and very tedious, you need to be a very patient person for this project. Please enjoy and give me your input, this is a forum so let's talk it up.
Hank
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Leg Sleeve

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Ended this evening, with hood, left front fender, and drivers door completed. Awesome Gloss, please see reflection shot of my son in the vinyl. Photos #3&#4
Have a good night.
Hank
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Forehead Eyebrow Shoulder Mouth Hood

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hank,

That’s looking very nice. I never knew that it would have that shine too the wrap. You normally see a wrapped vehicle advertising for a business. You’ve got me too thinking about wrapping my wife’s truck. It’s an older 03 that could use a new paint job because of the Florida sun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking good so far, can't wait to see the finished product. Looks like we might live just a few miles from each from the photo with Pike's Peak in the background.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Sunday afternoon. It is now finished for this work session. Very slow tedious
But we'll worth the effort. After spending full two days working, here us what we got done. The hood, left front fender, the left drivers door, left passenger door, and the wrap around to rear window. Looks awesome, my son actually did all the wrap work I am so grateful, he is a detail and very methodical worker. More to come in the upcoming weeks.
Thank you
Hank
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Hank,

That’s looking very nice. I never knew that it would have that shine too the wrap. You normally see a wrapped vehicle advertising for a business. You’ve got me too thinking about wrapping my wife’s truck. It’s an older 03 that could use a new paint job because of the Florida sun.
Mr. Montemike, the wrap I used is named vivvid ultra gloss piano black, that is why it is so shiny, that was what I researched. Go to the Vivvid website for other colors in the ULTRA line.
Thank you
Hank

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hank,

I would guess that you and I are about the same age, you don’t need to call me sir.

My wife and I were big NASCAR fans before nascar became woke. We were Dale Earnhardt Sr. fans, we decided that after he died we would own only black vehicles in honor of him. My wife's truck is black because of that.

I’ll check the website that you recommended. I like the way your S10 is turning out, it looks very nice.

Mike

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Hank,

I would guess that you and I are about the same age, you don’t need to call me sir.

My wife and I were big NASCAR fans before nascar became woke. We were Dale Earnhardt Sr. fans, we decided that after he died we would own only black vehicles in honor of him. My wife's truck is black because of that.

I’ll check the website that you recommended. I like the way your S10 is turning out, it looks very nice.

Mike
Ok Sir Mike :cool:
I won't call you mister mike. Vivvid vinyl is the name of the company it is located in Canada, their website has a product line called ultra which is the high gloss line rated to be nearest to paint look than any other wrap company. I actually went thru Amazon for best pricing. My son advised me he started with a basic $80 wrap installation from Amazon which include everything needed including heat gun. Lots of youtube videos that show you how to do everything. I liked the videos from CK Wraps from Canada and Paradox the Wrapper in California. O by the way I'm big indy car fan, NASCAR is okay, but haven' missed a Indy 500 race in 40 some years, either closed circuit TV, radio, lately streamed whatever, any way have a good day. Right now it is 55 degrees wet and rainy.
Hank

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Hank,

Mike
What make and model is your wife's truck, full size or just bigger than mine. I would suggest 75-100ft. Roll. This will give you an Approximate quantity to know what to buy. Standard width of a roll of wrap is 5ft, sometimes displayed as 60 inches on the websites. I bought a 5x50ft roll for my S-10, my son has t made any mistakes or wasted any wrap, but right now we are guessing I might need another 25 feet. So try to get enough to begin with. Also I went to Vivvids website last night, they have gone up about 20% since I bought mind in December.
Hank
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks Hank, I’ll keep all that in mind. My wife’s truck is a full size four door. The 20% doesn’t surprise me as everything has gone up at least 20% or more since December.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
Thanks Hank, I’ll keep all that in mind. My wife’s truck is a full size four door. The 20% doesn’t surprise me as everything has gone up at least 20% or more since December.
Mike,
I am not exactly sure where I developed the Love for a Black Vehicle, but here is what my garage has currently, 2015 Black Camaro With Black and chrome Wheels, 2015 Subaru Legacy with gray and silver wheels, and now my 2002 Black S-10 with black and silver wheels, seems like I have a trend going on in my garage. So I have a sports car, a very practical daily drive, and a truck. What does that say about me then? Have some kind of theme going on here guess Have a good day.
Hank
PS: Plus the Quad Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Tire Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Mike,
I am not exactly sure where I developed the Love for a Black Vehicle, but here is what my garage has currently, 2015 Black Camaro With Black and chrome Wheels, 2015 Subaru Legacy with gray and silver wheels, and now my 2002 Black S-10 with black and silver wheels, seems like I have a trend going on in my garage. So I have a sports car, a very practical daily drive, and a truck. What does that say about me then? Have some kind of theme going on here guess Have a good day.
Hank
PS: Plus the Quad View attachment 172843
Hank,

That’s a nice collection of vehicles. My wife and I are down sizing. We recently sold two black Harley Davidsons, mine was an Black Ultra Classic hers was a Black Softail Deluxe. We recently sold our Black 2000 SS Camaro. We wanted to buy new truck for retirement. I had found the 2019 that is on the top of my page, funny story, I was relaxing in my recliner the night before we were going to buy the LTZ that sits in the garage mostly until I retire. I had listed the 2000 SS Camaro on Craigslist, I received a call about the Camaro. The guy and Ispoke for a while he wanted to come buy the Camaro that next day. I told him that he would have to wait until Sunday or some other day because we were going to Clermont to look into buying a truck that I found on line. He asked me where I was going in Claremont, I told himDon Mealys Chevrolet. He laughed and said that’s where he worked, he said to bring the title and we could sign it over to him and he would pay us and pick the car up later. My wife and I drove the 2020 piece of junk Colorado down and traded in the Colorado, he paid us so we came home from buying a great used truck with more money in my pocket than I went with. That’s a good day.

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
It is always nice when you can get a good honest deal from a dealer, hope you enjoy your new vehicle as you head into retirement. Is this the vehicle you are considering for the wrap process?. There are all kinds of Black's out there. I am doing mine in two tones with the Gloss black as the primary color and carbon fiber black for accent pieces. These being wheels, rear view mirrors, fuel filler door, chevy bowtie front grill and a few interior pieces in fiber carbon black. You could do something similar, seems we have a lot of similar traits. OR maybe you would like to try combinations using,, matte black,, flat black, camo blacks, metallic black, or maybe chrome black with even a bold color like blue or Red for trim pieces, many choices out there, have fun with this. Sorry I was late responding, my internet has been down since Friday, hope they get it fixed today. At my son in laws house now, BE home soon.
Hank
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

The Buck Stops Here: This is really deer (dear) to me. Enjoy
Plant Eye Elk Natural material Human body

Realistic looking lawn art found in Colorado.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts