GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The XM radio in my 2009 Silverado quit working. It will only tune to channels 0, 1, and 247. I called XM, and they "reset" the radio, but nothing changed. XM tech support suggested taking the truck to the dealer, but the radio "works". AM/FM/CD is fine, and it still tunes and plays audio on the three XM stations it will display.

Anybody else deal with this, and how'd you fix it?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would also have to recommend contacting the dealership regarding this concern. Even if this does not turn out to be some kind of issue with the unit itself, the dealership may be able to work with XM in order to resolve the concern. Please feel free to keep me updated regarding the concern. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
38 Posts
did you have the radio turned on when they tried resetting it, you can actually send a reset signal from the xm website instead of dealing with the idiot indian people that make up their customer service department. the 3 channels your getting are pretty much the sample channels that you receive without having a subscription, if something was wrong with the radio, you woulden't be receiving any channels at all.

·
Registered
249 Posts
did you have the radio turned on when they tried resetting it, you can actually send a reset signal from the xm website instead of dealing with the idiot indian people that make up their customer service department. the 3 channels your getting are pretty much the sample channels that you receive without having a subscription, if something was wrong with the radio, you woulden't be receiving any channels at all.
I agree. If it didn't work than why are those 3 channels working? Are you making sure to allow the subscription to register? I know that I leave my radio on for like 15 minutes just to make sure that the signal has registered. Just a thought

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Did you pay the bill? :)

Make sure the radio is on while your refreshihg the signal as mentioned above.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did what they told me to do, while I was on the phone with them. Sometimes it was on, sometimes it was off. We went through every permutation: no joy.

I agree that it's not the unit, and I explained that to the techs. The same thing happened when my first year subscription rolled over, but they were able to "reset" it, then. This time, they don't seem to be as ...effective.

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

I agree. If it didn't work than why are those 3 channels working? Are you making sure to allow the subscription to register? I know that I leave my radio on for like 15 minutes just to make sure that the signal has registered. Just a thought
It was on when they told me to turn it on, and off when they told me to turn it off. I spent a couple of hours on the phone with their technicians. I've had the subscription since 2005, from a portable unit, which I switched to the radio in the Silverado in March, '09.

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

Did you pay the bill? :)

Make sure the radio is on while your refreshihg the signal as mentioned above.
Yeah, it's a subscription that automatically renews from my checking account. I've had the subscription since 2005.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Have you checked your portable unit to see if for some silly reason the subscription reverted back to it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you checked your portable unit to see if for some silly reason the subscription reverted back to it?
I didn't think of trying that ...because I sold it two years ago! Good idea, though!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I just bought an '09 silverado, used of course, and at the urging of my brother decided to try out XM. I'm having the same issues everyone here is having. Reset at least four times, and still only receive channels 0 and 1. I can hear the preview well, but no other channels. Just like many of you, XM told me to take it to the dealer. Well the dealer can't get me in until monday but I have no time.

Have any of you already been to service over this issue? If so, what is the verdict?

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Well if you are paid up Take the truck to a good open area and have Xm resend the signal...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
So, I just bought an '09 silverado, used of course, and at the urging of my brother decided to try out XM. I'm having the same issues everyone here is having. Reset at least four times, and still only receive channels 0 and 1. I can hear the preview well, but no other channels. Just like many of you, XM told me to take it to the dealer. Well the dealer can't get me in until monday but I have no time.

Have any of you already been to service over this issue? If so, what is the verdict?
Is the subscription active?

Have you left the radio on while refreshing it? On channel 0 you should see the radio id..write it down and go to the xm website to refresh the signal. Make sure the radio is on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for repsonding. Yeah, I have done everything per XM's request. On top of a hill, nothing between my truck and the sky, with radio tuned to station1, using the xm radio id. refreshed 10 times probably over the last two days.

My problem seems to be the exact one as a few previous posters, Just wondering what the eventual outcome was because they have had to have time to have fixed it since the posts are rather dated.

Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Tricia, I too am having this same issue as Kevin and I wondered if you have ever heard of the fix on this. I have an '09 Silverado and the the xm only receives stations 1 and 0. I will be contacting a dealership but would like an idea.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
get a new tuner... Or do what I did switch to Sirius or HD radio..

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Thanks for repsonding. Yeah, I have done everything per XM's request. On top of a hill, nothing between my truck and the sky, with radio tuned to station1, using the xm radio id. refreshed 10 times probably over the last two days.

My problem seems to be the exact one as a few previous posters, Just wondering what the eventual outcome was because they have had to have time to have fixed it since the posts are rather dated.

Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Tricia, I too am having this same issue as Kevin and I wondered if you have ever heard of the fix on this. I have an '09 Silverado and the the xm only receives stations 1 and 0. I will be contacting a dealership but would like an idea.
Tricia is just going to tell you to contact your dealer.

Your XM brain is behind the lower glove box. There is tab on the back side of the glove box..push it forward til the glove box falls forward. You will see a silver box on the right side disconnect it for a few minutes and then try it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never did get my XM radio working. I just use my phone for Pandora, or listen to books on CD. Maybe I'll try disconnecting the device inside the glove box. It snowed, today, so that means winter is here, and I won't be spending much time fiddling with it out on the driveway. It appears to be a pretty common occurrence, which probably means it's a flawed device, but my warranty is long gone, and I don't need another entertainment expense, right now, anyway.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Get the Tuner changed then tell them XM is not worth the money I'm getting Sirius now for $25.00 for 6 months.. Thats all it's worth...Tell them you are sick of the repeat songs..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem with my Audi. I have made 10 calls to XM, the techs tried everything thy could, I can get preview channel only. During the XM free two week promotion the radio worked fine, then stopped when promotion ended. I have lifetime subscription. I will take it to the Audi dealer for a "computer scan" at my expense.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm getting Sirius now for $25.00 for 6 months..
It still amazes me folks who give credit card with automatic renewal at full price.
I use paper billing. Costs $2.00 more and well worth it not to give any credit card or bank account automatic renewal.

And as a footnote. I only use the portable XM receivers as none of my vehicles has built in.
One portable receiver would not obtain a clear signal in vehicle. It works perfectly inside home (boombox) but not in vehicle.
I switched receivers and all came in clear in vehicle. I have multiple portable receivers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had four XM subscriptions.
After two days of haggling with Sirius/XM after being put on hold and wait hours for callbacks, I cancelled $576 worth of subscriptions. My 2007 Trailblazer XM function went intermittent and finally quit completely. I spent hours yesterday doing reset signals.

I got "no signal" on every channel, just the names of the programs displayed. AM/FM/CD work OK. The Chevy dealer wants to charge a diagnostic fee, then (probably) estimate $3,000 for a new radio. Nobody at Buff Wallen in Sterling Heights knew anything but "leave it & pay for an hour".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts