GM Truck Club Forum banner

Yeah, I'm new. I actually need some help.. if anyone would mind to help me..

4K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  csltrains96 
#1 ·
Hey everyone..

I'm the new guy.. or one of the new guys. Thank the Lord I found this website because I'm about to go berserk! I have a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado Crew-Cab; 2wd; LS; 5.3 V8.

The engine and truck is all stock except the K&N air filter I installed myself; pair of 'Shortie Headers'; and the mufflers I have are custom made.. and the HID kit that I installed inside my low-beam headlights. But that's all the truck has as far as anything aftermarket. I did have a set of really nice 22" rims on it about 2 years ago.. but they got stolen.. and yeah, I had locking lugs on.. I had one locking-lug on each wheel, but the a******* actually took the time to use a freaking torch and melted/heated the locking-lugs so much that they were able to breaking them off.. but I'm thinking, wouldn't they have screwed up the rim doing that?

Anyhow.. that's my introduction. :D

Mind if I ask my questions in here as well? I really do need some help.. if anyone can find it in their heart to help me.

My 2005 Silverado.. when I turn the wheel left/right.. there's a clunking noise.. it also seems to do it while just driving down the road even.. like if I hit a bump, it will make the clunk noise.. and you can feel it in the steering wheel.. you can hear and feel it. So I know its got something to do with the steering shaft.. or suspension.

I'm sure its the steering wheel shaft because I actually took it to my local Chevrolet dealership and they said that there was a recall out, talking about this problem. I wasn't the only one complaining about this apparently. Anyhow, the day I took it into the shop.. they greased it.. or so thats what they sold me. Well, to my surprise.. whatever it was that they actually did to it.. did in fact fix it.. temporarily. :grrrrrr:

So after getting the steering shaft "serviced" (what the heck?!!).. the noise and everything I was hearing pretty much came to a complete stop. I was very happy.. only until about.. ohhh, I think it was no longer than 3 or 4 weeks and it started doing it again. So, I take it back to the dealership again.. they do the same thing they did last time. I leave, it stopped.. I'm happy again.

Sure enough, 3 or 4 weeks later it starts doing it again. So, my question to everyone here is.. what is the problem here? Did the engineers really think that installing a two-pieced steering shaft was a great idea?!?! I mean, it actually has a 'grease nipple' on it.. already installed. So, they had to have known this could cause problems. Sure enough, it has caused problems.. and Chevrolet now has a ton of mad customers. I'm one of them! So, any information on the steering problem would be wonderful.

Second question, I bought a set of factory foglights to replace the ones that are currently on the truck. My factory set that came with the truck.. are broke here and there.. lenses got cracked over time and they've got a little bit of moisture in them. My question here is.. does anyone around here, know where I could find a 'How to install' video for my factory foglights? I just need to take out the old factory ones.. and install the new factory ones. Is it even that difficult to begin with? Any help on this subject would be more than greatly appreciated.

Thanks for listening everyone.. and thanks for those of you who help with my questions. Take care!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the club. Sounds like what alot of people on this site including myself have had with there trucks. I tried all the so called factory fixes and they worked for a coulpe of weeks, the fix I found was to replace the shaft with a Borgenson unit. No more problems. Check them out at Borgenson.com. I purchased mine from Jegs.com.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Welcome to the club. Sounds like what alot of people on this site including myself have had with there trucks. I tried all the so called factory fixes and they worked for a coulpe of weeks, the fix I found was to replace the shaft with a Borgenson unit. No more problems. Check them out at Borgenson.com. I purchased mine from Jegs.com.

Really?!?! :D You have no idea how happy you just made me.. you just made my day sir. Thank you so freaking much!

Did you have an expert put it in, I'm guessing? I'm not that mechanically experienced/inclined really. I mean, I know how to change fluids and things like that.. but I don't think I have the expertise to put in a steering shaft. Hehehe...

So seriously though.. you put that new unit in.. and the noise stopped?

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

hey, I was going to check out Jegs.com, actually on there right now.

What is the part that I actually need? Is is the steering damper? The U-joint part? I'm confused.. help..? :|

#6 ·
Nice screen name :) and the foglights should be no problem! Just swap each unit out. I know the headlight assemblies are easy so the fogs can't be to hard.

#7 ·
Welcome to the club. Good screen name lol

#10 ·
Welcome to the club!

#11 · (Edited)
Really?!?! :D You have no idea how happy you just made me.. you just made my day sir. Thank you so freaking much!

Did you have an expert put it in, I'm guessing? I'm not that mechanically experienced/inclined really. I mean, I know how to change fluids and things like that.. but I don't think I have the expertise to put in a steering shaft. Hehehe...

So seriously though.. you put that new unit in.. and the noise stopped?

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

hey, I was going to check out Jegs.com, actually on there right now.

What is the part that I actually need? Is is the steering damper? The U-joint part? I'm confused.. help..? :|
this is the part you need. its the whole intermediate shaft
http://www.jegs.com/i/Borgeson/153/000937/10002/-1
this was for a 2005 1500 (it fits all 1999-2006 fullsize)

#13 ·
Welcome!!!

#15 ·
Welcome to the club!

#16 · (Edited)
Nice screen name :) and the foglights should be no problem! Just swap each unit out. I know the headlight assemblies are easy so the fogs can't be to hard.

yeah, the new ones I ordered look really simple.. just wanted to make sure there wasn't any secret tool I needed in order to take the old ones out.

Anyhow, I wanted to come back to the forums and thank everyone that helped me out here. I've ordered that Borgenson unit. Ordered it this past Friday and have setup an appointment to have the Chevrolet dealership put it in. Might cost me a bit once its all done.. but man, its sure going to be worth it. I mean, mine is so bad that I was getting frightened to even drive the damn thing. Other than the steering noise/clunk issue.. I've really had no mechanical problems out of the truck.. been a good truck so far other than these mild problems. My foglight button/switch is sticking too.. been doing it for a while actually.. so I'll need one of those too. They're freaking $50 or $60 bucks.. just for a plastic switch.. sheeesh! If I weren't so inclined to keep it looking as stock as possible, I would just wire in a toggle switch.. and a nice one at that, for way less than $60 bucks.. uggghh.

Oh, and my left front (drivers side) wheel bearing went out on my not too long ago too. That was annoying.. luckily for me I had it fixed before it had the chance to lock up on me. Hell, my entire left hub/wheel assembly could have come off at any given moment.. and I drive on the highway alot so I'm almost always at least going 50MPH. Man oh man.. Chevrolet. You guys gotta get your heads outta the sand!! :grrrrrr:

I as well as all other Chevrolet owners pay good money for these trucks... time to get things right! I tell ya, is ignorance bliss?!? sheesh.. :sleep:

later

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

you know whats actually kinda funny is.. is I actually was thinking that the clunk noise coming from my steering wheel was from when I had my wheels on. I had a set of really nice 22" chrome 'American Racing' wheels with Nitto's pZero 305/45/R22 tires.. had my windows all blacked out.. had it looking REALLY nice. I was proud of it.. took really good care of it. But anyhow, I took off my rims and tires because the dealership told me that my wheels and tires were putting too much stress on my steering system.. which in return was causing the noises in my steering.

heh, excuse my language.. but, bull****. Not only did I take my wheels and tires off.. but I sold them because I actually believed what they told me.. I mean, of course I'm going to take their advice.. they're (the mechanics) are after all, the advertised "experts".. so yeah, of course I took their advice.

Now I'm just getting pissed.. :|

All this time.. if I would have thought of too look for a Chevy forums to ask around in the first place.. I could have saved myself a TON of grief and anger.

Well now, I guess I know where I'll be going first thing in the morning! :grrrrrr:

I'll put the fear of God into those people at the dealership.. oh, if they only knew! Messed up man.. they just didn't want to tell me the truth because I was driving a nicer truck than they were I guess..?? I mean.. I dunno what their problem is.. but they're going to either write me a check for my wheels/tires for providing me false consumer information.. or, I can go to my family lawyer.. which also happens to be a judge for the city.. which also happens to my be father. *******s are going to have a ****ty Tuesday morning.. and probably the rest of the day!

sorry.. wasn't angry at anyone here. Just, I gotta go smoke.

thanks again for the help ppl.. you are good ppl here.

peace.

#17 ·
I't's called the upper intermediate shaft I have changed my twice. It's about 100 bucks and only takes about 1 hour to change out. The grease kits are crap they only last a couple thousand miles as you already know. Nothing will happen if you don't do anything so don't be to worried it's just really annoying. I will have to look into the borgenson unit sounds sweet if it fixes the problem for good. Won't have to spend 100 bucks every 30,000 miles. Hope you get it fixed.

#18 ·
Welcome to the club!

#19 ·
Steering shaft installed - noises/vibrations COMPLETELY gone. Drives like a new truk

Hey everyone! Got my new steering shaft installed this past Friday. I have to say, I gave the new shaft a hell of a test over the weekend. The mechanic at the dealership told me to kinda take it easy on the new shaft to let it seat properly or whatever. Told me he test drove my truck and the noise/clunk/vibrations are completely gone.. he couldn't hear a thing at all.. said it drives and feels like a brand new truck.

So, anyhow, I paid the bill and left the dealership Friday afternoon around 4pm. I leave the parking lot, and to be honest..? I was actually expecting something to go wrong.. I mean, nothing ever goes smooth for me anyhow.. so I was indeed expecting something to go wrong, but to my surprise.. it really did fix the issue!!! I have been listening and putting up with that steering noise/clunk/vibrations for over 3 or 4 years now.. and I have to tell everyone here.. the difference the new shaft makes.. is absolutely remarkable IMO!

The steering wheel just feels so much better.. the noises/vibrations are COMPLETELY gone.. completely gone! It's actually weird to get into the truck and drive now.. because I'm so used to turning up the radio to kinda drown out the noises from the old shaft.. but its so quiet now.. its amazing!!! I have to give major props to Borgeson (Borgenson? Borgeson? - Spell Check please?) but yeah, those guys engineered the perfect replacement shaft IMO.. the feel of the steering wheel is even improved.. if that makes any sense at all. It's hard to explain... the best way I know how to put it is, is when/if you have this same unit installed in your truck/SUV - prepare yourself to be amazed with the difference and improvements that the new shaft makes.

I haven't been this please/happy in a long time.. feels good! ;)

Now, I shall begin the reconstruction/rebuild to get my truck back to the way I use to have it looking. Plan on buying a new set of rims/tires (22" or bigger); put my new fog-light housings in; install my new fog-light button/switch.. and give her a good thorough detailing/washing and I'll have her back in top shape like she used to be.

Anyhow, lastly.. for anyone that is skeptical about this Borgeson replacement shaft - Take my word for it.. I'm a hard person to impress, I really am.. but this truly did surprise me.. with the difference it actually made. It honestly feels like the truck never had any steering noises/vibrations/clunks to begin with.. like the truck never had the problem.. its truly amazing. I shall be emailing Borgeson letting them know how much I appreciate them taking the time to come up with a reliable and quality replacement shaft.. that also takes care of the noises and vibrations that many Chevrolet truck/SUV owners are experiencing.

Oh, one last thing.. I want to thank everyone around here for pointing me in the right direction.. in order to get this issue under control and fixed. If it weren't for everyone's great welcoming hospitality.. I would probably still have the old ****ty shaft/unit in the truck.. and would still be leery about driving it. So again, thank you everyone for being cool and helping out a fellow Chevrolet owner/lover.

Have a great week everyone.
-Mike

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

I see I'm not the only one around here that has a few toys.. as well as a daily driver.

I tried putting this in my signature.. but its too big/long to fit. So, figured I'd share my toy with everyone.

Here's a brief description of my weekend toy:

MY WEEKEND TOY: '99 BMW E36 M3 COUPE; FACTORY TECHNO PURPLE PAINT; 3.2 INLINE V6 ENGINE WITH A STAGE 1 TURBO KIT RUNNING 4-PSI with hidden BOV valve; AFTERMARKET INTERCOOLER; AFTERMARKET HEADER WITH TUBI MUFFLER THAT CAME OFF A 599 GTB FERRARI; BLACKED OUT WINDOWS ALL THE WAY AROUND; FACTORY MOON-ROOF (moon-roof, not a sun-roof); Factory 6-disc CD Changer (in trunk); DRIVERS INFORMATION CENTER (DIC); FACTORY MANUAL 5-SPEED TRANSMISSION; CREAM LEATHER M3 SEATS (FRONT AND BACK) WITH M3 STITCHING/PIPING; M3 STEERING WHEEL WITH M3 STITCHING/PIPING; 19"X11 REAR M3 WHEELS WITH 18X9.5 M3 WHEELS FOR THE FRONT; VOLIANT COLD-AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM; ALL STOCK BULBS WERE REPLACED WITH L.E.D. BULBS EXCEPT FOR THE HEADLIGHTS AND FOG-LIGHTS WHICH THOSE I REPLACED/INSTALLED WITH NEW H.I.D. KITS; MY DYNO SHEET RECORDS SHOW THAT I'M PUSHING RIGHT AROUND 403HP WITH 311 LBS/TRQ AT 4PSI. THAT'S PLENTY OF POWER/TORQUE FOR THIS LIGHTWEIGHT CAR.. TRUST ME

#20 ·
Welcome to GMTC! :great:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.