GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've still got some more work to do on the heads, before they go back on the block, and then have the engine back in the truck, but I figured I would start planning this in advance.
I've been looking around at functional hood scoops. I like the look of the 442 scoop by GoodHood
, but then I'm thinking I might like to see a shaker scoop popping out of my hood instead. So I'm a little torn on this. It's difficult to get a feel of how this looks from this picture since it's only the very front end.

Right now my truck is rock stock, plain boring in appearance.

My questions to you all is, who's seen a Suburban with a functional hood scoop, and did it look ok?
Also has anyone seen a Suburban with a shaker scoop, and how did that look?

I don't plan on going all out on my 'burb I just want to give it a little attitude.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
I'm not certain if I've seen a suburban with a functional hood scoop. I think that looks pretty tough though, I like the look!

You should photoshop it onto your ride to see what it would look like.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Remember the old 400 small block in the 77 trans am, I've always wanted to do a "shaker hood" on a truck might not be to hard to do??

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the most part the scoops that everyone is selling are non-functional. Molded plastic that you stick on with double sided 3M tape. I'm really looking for something that can be used in conjunction with a ram air system.

Besides it would be my luck that the stick on hood scoop would come off at highway speeds....lol

I should have said in my previous post that Functionality is my primary concern, and attitude would just be a fringe benefit.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Find the breather part from wreckers...cut hood. Custom rides by Patrick...
uh uh ya feelin' it yet
LOL... That's pretty much what I'm thinking. But I'd hate to make it, fit it on the truck, and find out it looks retarded.:confused:
I think Steve has the right idea, photoshop it onto a pic of my rig first.

but I'm wondering how many other have either done it, or seen it done.

The more I think about it, I'm getting more drawn to the shaker scoop.:cool:

Still open to suggestions, and comments:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hood scoops for Dummies...LOL

Oh ok ya wanna be difficult eh...LOL. This I have seen done. Low rise carbon fibre hood scoop (glass it on) and do you remember the 81 camaro flapper thing(driver could see them open) hooked up to secondaries on 4 barrel...
There ain't nothing in the world that sounds better than secoundaries opening
on a big block Chevy (oh the hair just stood up on the back of my neck)
Anyway are ya pickin' up what I'm throwin' down...??

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I am a little biased, but I prefer the Shaker. I saw a Chevy truck with a shaker and fender scoops from a Trans Am grafted in and it looked good.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Off topic but Gary's feeling it too. 454/400 tranny manual valve body/2800 stall/3:73's/10" slicks/quicksilver bump shifter...I smell a 12.90-13.20 pass at the track coming on.
HA HA HA

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh ok ya wanna be difficult eh...LOL. This I have seen done. Low rise carbon fibre hood scoop (glass it on) and do you remember the 81 camaro flapper thing(driver could see them open) hooked up to secondaries on 4 barrel...
There ain't nothing in the world that sounds better than secoundaries opening
on a big block Chevy (oh the hair just stood up on the back of my neck)
Anyway are ya pickin' up what I'm throwin' down...??
Oh believe me you don't need to sell me on the idea. LOL
I think the flaps would be a sweet touch. Unfortunately with TBI, I don't have secondaries, but it does make a lot of noise when wide open.

Biased or not Gary, I guess at this point I'm just wondering if anyone has a good reason why it shouldn't be done. I've read conflicting articles that say even though it was functional, it didn't help much, and others that say it allowed the engine it's full potential.
It's good to hear that you've seen the scoop, and vents grafted onto a truck, and it looked good. That's very helpful:cool:

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Off topic but Gary's feeling it too. 454/400 tranny manual valve body/2800 stall/3:73's/10" slicks/quicksilver bump shifter...I smell a 12.90-13.20 pass at the track coming on.
HA HA HA
Before the rebuild, it would have been between 12-13.....days
I should have had the bumper sticker "0-60 in a day and a half":tongue:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would definitely go with a Shaker Scoop. I've seen them on a Chevy truck but never a Suburban. I think it would make for one SWEET ride.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Check 'em out

This site offers some nice FUNCTIONAL scoops. They didn't list a shaker style for the 93, but I like this ram air version.:cool:

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a pretty nice hood. I didn't see that one the first time around.
I guess I'd have to get rid of my bug guard to use that hood.
But maybe I'd want to get rid of it anyway, once the scoop is in. Probably wouldn't look right.

I'm fairly certain, that I'm going to go with the shaker. Now I just need to decide if I want rear facing, or forward facing. I'm thinking there's more advantage to forward.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My buddy and I actually put a tear drop style induction on his Burb. It was the style with the functional induction, you know the one when you slam the gas down the flaps open. I can't for the life of me think of the actual name for that style, it's Friday and I'm on auto pilot. But it looked awsome. I'm sure you could fab up some using the same idea as the tear drop, I think it would be cool to hit the gas and have the cowl open up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts